View guides

Fire breaks out at Southampton Student Hall Development

Posted by Matthew Heap in ,

A major fire broke out yesterday at the construction site of a £70m city centre tower block in Southampton. Fire fighters are still tackling the blaze which caused an explosion that was heard over a mile away. It's thought that gas canisters on the roof exploded as staff were laying tarmac, however there were no reported injuries. The Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service reported 75 fire-fighters and 15 engines were at the scene.

The University of Southampton was due to take over the ownership of the student hall in September from developer Osborne Developments. Once complete, a self-contained one bedroom flat will be marketed to students at £196.56 per week, although the facility will be complete with gym, convenience store and a laundrette.